Student Training Arts and Design (STAND) Program
STAND (Students Training Arts and Design), the education program offered by UCOF Academy to under-resourced New York youth, is the only program of its kind in the United States.
STAND allows interns to learn in the areas of:
- Business Development
- Media & Communications
- Event Production
These fields of work are opened to our interns in the form of workshops and applied participation in fashion show productions and internships with leading designers. STAND assists interns to get scholarships to leading fashion schools, arrange installations and fashion shows for newly graduated designers. The student’s experiences are shared via OMBRE PORTFOLIO, a communiqué for UCOF Academy’s students.
Yearly, the board of designers selects the “Achiever of the Year”, this person, a college senior, must have been part of the program for more than four seasons, demonstrates excellent design skills and a strong potential to be a successful fashion designer. The achiever is awarded the following prizes:
- An opportunity to showcase a fashion exhibition at a leading location in New York City
- All expenses paid trip to a participation Fashion Week country to receive training from top fashion designers, stylists, and world renowned fashion show producers
- Personal training and mentorship for a year
- All expenses paid to show his/her first collection during UCOF Academy’s annual gala
These opportunities give talented, aspiring fashion professionals a platform to be recognized and integrated into the industry. STAND is available to driven high school sophomores through college juniors from low-income families in the New York City vicinities.
Requirements for Fashion Education Program:
- Available primarily to under-resourced youth in the NY (NJ youth are accepted on an exception basis only)
- The applicant must come from a low income family
- The applicant must be between the ages of 15 to 20 (high school sophomore up to junior year in college, whichever is greater)
- The applicant must have a passion to make a career in the fashion industry
- Prior experience is preferred, but not required
- Time commitment to the program is a must
We provide our training according to the global fashion calendar: February, September and October.
- The 2014 application process for the Fall/Winter 2014 and Spring/Summer 2015 season opens August 1, 2014
- Interested applicants must submit a one page letter with the following information: family background, why they want to join the program, what they hope to get out of it, areas of interest in the fashion industry, and complete contact information
- Final applicants will be interviewed and selected by our Senior Creative Director by the 1st week of September
Attend Our Open House
We arrange open houses and informational sessions around the first week of September where students are welcome to attend and ask any questions they may have about the program. Upon request, United Colors of Fashion, Inc. can also come to your school to conduct an open house.
After our Senior Creative Director at UCOF Academy reviews the applications, students will be notified accordingly. Those who do not qualify can still volunteer with us and help us backstage or with other tasks.
Send Us Your Application
Please submit all applications to: